This is Todd. Surprise, Surprise! I am actually going to write on our blog. I am going to do so by first confessing. I am not the best at always making sure that we have Family Home Evening. For some reason tonight I had an impression that we needed to start. So this is the idea to kick it off for us. I decided that we would read the Wentworth Letter (available on the Church website)and then for the next 13 weeks do a lesson on each of the Articles of Faith. One of the goals is to have the Article of Faith memorized prior to each of the lessons. I think that this is a good way to start a habit; have everything planned for so far in advance that by the time you run out of plans you're hooked. Maybe at the end we will try to memorize the Standard of Truth and have a lesson on that, who knows? Anyway, Katie and I had a enjoyable time reading the Letter together and then afterwards we knelt down to have our family prayer, this may seem personal but I am comfortable sharing it. During the prayer I was overwhelmed with a glimpse of how important parenting really is. It's so much than just changing diapers and cleaning up after them. It's more than just disciplining and correcting. True parenting is about teaching our children who they are and helping them identify the Spirit. It's not dictating to them the answers or responses that they should give when confronted with something bad, it's teaching them the correct principals, which are eternal, and guiding them in their self-governance. Ours is the greatest of Responsibilities. President Faust in a talk gave us our priorities and they are; family, church, employer and then ourselves. Now I know that many of you reading this are veteran parents, however, I think that everyone needs to refocus and re prioritize form time to time. I love being a parent, and I thank all you who have been such great examples for me, especially Mom and Dad you two are awesome and the effects of your actions are eternal. Parenting truly is the greatest responsibility one could have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Well said Todd. I find it amazing how many times I have different impressions like that when it comes to parenting, it's probably b/c I need constant reminders from the Lord of what type of parent I am to be. I'm sure you and Katie are and will do great.
Thanks for the reminder. It doesn't matter if you're just starting out or have teenagers (am I the latter one? Yikes!), we all need to be reminded from time to time about what our focus should be. It's easy to get lazy, but you can't ever go back and redo it, so you have to hope you get it right the first time around.
Post a Comment